Planning a wedding is an exciting journey no matter where you decide to get married. But when you decide to say your “I dos” in the picturesque town of San Miguel, Mexico, you’re in for a beautiful adventure.
With its rich culture, gorgeous venues, and ample activities, this city is a dream destination for a wedding weekend. So, whether you’ve already fallen head over heels for San Miguel or just beginning to explore the idea, consider this your ultimate planning guide.
Grab a seat and perhaps a spicy margarita, and let’s explore planning a destination wedding in San Miguel de Allende.
When choosing a destination for your wedding, you’re selecting the backdrop for one of the most important and memorable days of your life.
Fortunately, San Miguel is the epitome of beauty. It’s a city surrounded by stunning landscapes. Alongside its old-world charm and cosmopolitan vibrancy, you’ll find rolling hills and lush gardens. Its breathtaking vistas create incredible wedding photos and elevated indoor and outdoor events.
San Miguel is also a place where Mexican traditions and artistry thrive. You can infuse your wedding with local culture, from mariachi bands to traditional Mexican cuisine, and create an experience as culturally rich as it is romantic.
A unique aspect of San Miguel is that it’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site, known for its preserved colonial architecture and cobblestone streets. Its timeless charm and well-preserved historic center offer a dreamy ambiance that’s hard to replicate elsewhere. Imagine exchanging vows before a centuries-old church or having a romantic dinner in a beautifully restored hacienda.
San Miguel is serviced by two major airports: Leon/Guanajuato International Airport (BJX) and Mexico City International Airport (MEX). And there are ground transportation options from the airport to San Miguel, such as private shuttles and car rentals. Some hotels also offer airport transfers, making it easily accessible for both you and your guests.
One of the wonderful things about this city is its walkability. The absence of heavy traffic and the town’s compactness contribute to a relaxed and unhurried atmosphere. Walking allows you to explore San Miguel at your own pace. Take in the sights, stop for a coffee at a local café, or wander into art galleries and boutiques as you discover the town’s unique character.
San Miguel’s climate is mild year-round, making it an excellent choice for weddings at any time of the year.
That being said, spring (March to May) is a favored season for San Miguel weddings. The weather is mild, and the gardens are in full bloom, creating a picturesque backdrop for your ceremony and photos. Spring also offers a pleasant balance between warm days and cool nights.
Choosing the perfect venue is pivotal in planning your dream destination wedding. San Miguel offers various venues, each with its unique charm and character. Here are some of our favorite places to gather with friends and family.
Why we love it in a nutshell: The service is incredible, the location is unbeatable, and it’s super walkable from everywhere. The big and small tented sites have views of the Parroquia—the 17th-century church known for its pink spires and ornate sanctuary. And Rosewood has some wonderful elements on the property, including a fabulous spa, an incredible rooftop bar, and the best Sunday brunch you’ll find in San Miguel.
Why we love it in a nutshell: If you’re looking for something a little more traditional, Villa Santa Monica is the place to be. It’s perfect for more intimate gatherings, and with only 12 rooms onsite, you can easily rent out the entire space. We also love the location—it’s not directly situated in the hustle and bustle of town. However, it’s still close enough to everything you need. It’s also a fabulous spot for a rehearsal dinner or welcome party if you don’t want to have your main events here.
Why we love it in a nutshell: The Belmond has two locations in San Miguel—one is near Rosewood and Villa Santa Monica, while the main piece of the property is closer to the heart of the city. Here, you can rent out sections of the property according to your needs. For example, there’s a section by the pool you can rent out for events. At each location, you’ll find superb service and attention to detail.
Also, because San Miguel is such a walkable town, you can easily combine these venues to host three events in three separate locations.
A destination wedding in San Miguel isn’t just about the ceremony and reception; it’s an opportunity to immerse your guests in this historic town’s vibrant culture and breathtaking beauty.
Here are some entertainment and activity ideas to enhance your celebration:
- Welcome Fiesta: Kick off your wedding festivities with a lively welcome fiesta featuring traditional Mexican food, drinks, and music. It’s a fantastic way to introduce your guests to the local culture.
- Mariachi Band: Nothing says Mexico like a Mariachi band. Surprise everyone with a Mariachi performance during the wedding reception or cocktail hour.
- Folkloric Dancers: Arrange for a traditional dance performance to entertain your guests and showcase Mexico’s rich heritage.
- Salsa Dancing: Organize a salsa dance lesson or a salsa-themed party and set the tone for the weekend.
- Tequila Tasting: Treat guests to a tequila-tasting session where they can sample and learn about Mexico’s national spirit.
- Cooking Classes: Arrange a cooking class where local chefs teach loved ones to prepare Mexican dishes.
- Street Food Tour: Take your guests on a culinary adventure through the town’s vibrant streets to explore the local street food scene.
- Art Galleries: San Miguel is known for its art scene. Organize an art gallery tour and appreciate the town’s artistic heritage.
- Artisan Workshops: Offer guests the opportunity to engage in artisan workshops, such as pottery or painting classes.
- Visit Historical Sites: San Miguel is brimming with historical sites. Plan guided tours to explore its churches, plazas, and architectural treasures.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: Treat friends and family to a hot air balloon ride over San Miguel’s stunning landscapes for an unforgettable experience.
- Hiking or Horseback Riding: Organize hiking or horseback riding excursions and explore the surrounding countryside.
Planning a destination wedding is an exhilarating adventure that comes with unique challenges. This is where a skilled and experienced wedding planner can be your greatest asset.
Because we’ve planned events in San Miguel before, we understand the town’s culture, customs, and the best vendors in the area. We can help you find a venue that aligns with your vision. And we’ll leverage our talented network of vendors to bring your ideas to life.
This expertise ensures a smooth planning process and an authentic wedding experience that embraces the destination’s uniqueness.
Plus, we’ll handle all logistics, like timelines, transportation, coordinating vendor arrivals, and more, so you can relax and enjoy your day.
Contact us, and allow us to be your guide, advocate, and creative partners in crafting a wedding that reflects your love and embraces the beauty of San Miguel!